Beef & Mushroom Pie
I cheated a little with this – I used ready made pastry. The ingredients are enough to serve 4 in a 26 cm pie dish, but I use the same amount to make 2 pies, so that one can be frozen. I served mine with boiled potatoes, and some green vegetable.
500g / 1lb 2oz braising or stewing steak, cubed
85g / 3 oz cubed pancetta (bacon or lardons can be used instead)
2 tbsp olive oil
350g / 12 oz onions or shallots, sliced
1 tbsp plain flour
300ml / 18floz red wine
350g / 12oz chestnut mushrooms, chopped
10g / 0.5oz dried mushrooms (Merchant Gourmet have an excellent selection)
500g / 1lb 2oz Puff Pastry (I used Jus-Rol)
1 egg, beaten
1. Heat the oil, and saute the beef & pancetta until browned. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, and put to one side. Add the shallots to the pan, and cook for around 5 minutes until the onions start to turn golden. Return the meat to the pan, and stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes, and then stir in the red wine, using it to deglaze the pan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Whilst the sauce is cooking, prepare the dried mushrooms by soaking them in warm water for 30 minutes.
3. Add the fresh mushrooms, as well as the dried mushrooms to the meat mixture. The excess liquid from the dried mushrooms can also be added to give added flavour. Allow the mixture to cool.
4. Heat the oven to 220c / gas mark 7
5. Roll out the pastry so you have enough to line the dish(es), with extra to make the lid(s). Fill the dish with the meat sauce, then cover with the leftover pastry, folding the edges over. Glaze the pie with beaten egg and bake for 25 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden.